Thursday 30 July 2015

Kate: The Future Queen | Book Review

Hello beautiful people!

We have officially made it through the first week of semester two! Only eleven more weeks to go until a wonderful four months off. I am looking forward to this semester, and I think that I will enjoy it more than the previous. This may be because three out of four of my classes are part of my art history major. Speaking of which, at the end of semester one I decided to double major, and add history to my art history degree. I just really love history, and I am excited for the second half of my degree to see where it may take me. 

Now, I know what you are probably thinking. Art history AND regular history? Grace, what are you planning to do with that degree? (Every Arts student's favourite question!) WELL, let me tell you. I have plans. Kind of. I have plenty of ideas of possible paths I can take, but my main goal, like THE DREAM is to somehow become a royal expert, a royal historian or working in any way with the British monarchy. You have to dream big, right?

While I was looking for a new book to read on the plane/in the airport/before bed/in the morning of our Sydney trip, I first went to look at the Royal biography section at Dymocks on Collins St., and noticed that they had UK royal expert, Katie Nicholl's, book on Kate Middleton. Kate Middleton is one of my inspirations. Plus, we are both art history majors! Obviously this means that we already share a connection. Anyway, as soon as I saw Kate: The Future Queen, I automatically knew that I had to make this my second royal biography. (because a biography on Grace Kelly totally counts, right?)

Boy oh boy, did I love this book! I thought that I already had the Kate and Wills story down pat thanks to the two American made-for-tv movies by Lifetime and Hallmark (I recommend the Lifetime as a personal fave). However, Katie Nicholl provided details into their relationship that I never knew before. It follows the general format of a biography, going through Kate's life from birth, through school, university and beyond, ending at Prince George's birth. A wonderful feature was two sections of coloured photographs of Kate as she grew up. Which of course I analysed every detail like it was one of the artworks I study at Uni. What I found interesting is that Nicholl went so far as to give background to Kate's grandparents and the story of how her parents, Carole and Michael Middleton, met. 

Of course, going into as much detail as Katie has achieved with this book did at first come across to me as an unnecessary creepiness. Surely going so far back to share the details of her grandparents was going a bit too far. However, the fan-girl side of me that wants to learn every little mundane thing about a person I admire, was glowing in satisfaction. Plus, I now have all of these little fun facts I can whip out at any time like a fun party trick.

I thoroughly enjoyed how Nicholl managed to tell the Kate Middleton story without focusing too much on 'Kate Middleton, girlfriend/wife of Prince William' and instead showed her as Kate, who just happens to now be the future Queen of the Commonwealth. Kate Middleton is an inspiring woman that has worked hard for what she wants in life. 

Overall, I loved this book. I found it enjoyable and while it is not a novel, it definitely read as easy as one. Now excuse me while I go watch the Kate and William Lifetime movie again while simultaneously ordering Katie Nicholl's other royal biographies.

Stay Gold,

Grace.  

P.S What books have you been enjoying lately? Let us know, as I am open for suggestions on my next read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment