Sunday 22 February 2015

The Oscars pt. 2

Hello friends!

Part two of my Oscar’s post is here. So, without further ado, here are my last two ”reviews”



Birdman is the story of a former screen-superhero actor, attempting to fight his inner battles and gain relevance again by Directing and starring in a book-to-play adaption on Broadway.
And let me tell you, it is amazing.

As the opening night of the play What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, a single camera follows each character around the narrow corridors, dressing rooms, stage, and the city surrounds of Broadway’s St. James Theatre. This is orchestrated in such a way that the entire movie looks like one continuous ‘long shot’. Can we just appreciate that for a moment, please? Because there is nothing I love more than cinematography. Just, heart eyes everywhere!  Love, love, LOVE. The jazzy drums score sounds like one that would accompany a magic show, as if the whole film is a magic trick (which it so is. Movie magic, people!)

While I could go on scene by scene about the editing of the film, this is definitely also an Actors Film. The characters are so eclectic but then again, fit together so well, including Michael Keaton as ageing actor Riggan Thomas, Emma Stone as his recently rehabilitated daughter, Naomi Watts as a first time Broadway actress, Edward Norton as arrogant method actor Mike Shiner and Zach Galafanakis as Riggan’s best friend, lawyer and Producer of the show, his serious and professional character one I haven’t seen with Galifiankis before and my oh my is it welcomed.

In short, the film is amazing and everyone should see it (and don’t worry, you’re supposed to be leaving the cinema thinking “What in the world did I just watch?” just go with it.)
100% deserves the Best Picture nom (every nomination, actually), BUT, I don’t see it winning Best Picture. Why? Because it doesn’t seem like a film The Academy would choose (because The Academy have a Type. Just look at the winners of the past 5 years. But man, it would be amazing if it did.






Everyone knows Stephen Hawking as a great scientific mind, one of the smartest people in the world, and also know that he has a motor neuron disease. However, who was Stephen Hawking before he became the man he is today, and how was his journey there? Little know about his first wife, Jane, and the fact that Stephen was told he only had 2 years to live.

This film is beautiful, and it left me with a whole lot of emotion. The score from Johann Johannsson is absolutely gorgeous. But above all, it is important to note the acting ability of Felicity Jones (Jane Wilde Hawking) and Eddie Redmayne (Stephen Hawking). Firstly, Felicity Jones is superb as Jane. I’m not sure how to describe it, but you’re just either a. going to have to take my word for it or b. go see the movie, because she was nominated for a Golden Globe, SAG, BAFTA AND Oscar for Best Actress, so obviously, amazing. (It has been a couple of weeks since I’ve seen this and I didn’t take notes afterwards, so I’m sorry).

And of course, there is the delightful and charming Eddie Redmayne with the challenging role of Hawking himself. Leading up to seeing the movie, I had read many interviews with Redmayne about the role and what he did to prepare. And let me tell you, this man read every book, memories ever little fact about Hawking, and employed various movement coaches and other professionals to fully replicate the deterioration of his mobility. The effort and skill is evident in the movie and it is astounding! Particularly at the end of the film, where Hawking is at the stage we are all familiar with in his chair and automatic voice (which is Stephen Hawking’s ACTUAL, patented voice. The voice is copyrighted to Stephen Hawking, but after watching the film himself, Hawking granted the use of it to them. Amazing stuff, right?), Redmayne is able to convey such emotion in a face that can hardly move except for his eyes and cheek. HOW DOES HE DO IT? Or am I just biased? Apparently I’m not, since he has already won the Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA for the performance. It will definitely not be surprising if he wins the Oscar, too.



(Disclaimer: We do not own the images used in this post)

BUT CLAIRE, WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL WIN?


Good question! And let me level with you, I’m hardly an expert in these things, nor am I The Academy (I’m not an old white male, OH SNAP! Ok but seriously, the injustice of The Academy voting alone is a serious issue that needs to be called to attention), so this is just what I think from observation of past winners and my own opinion.


My favourites, and the ones I really want to win Best Picture are Birdman and The Theory of Everything (see above), just because both were spectacular. 

BUT, to be honest, I wouldn’t mind if any of the films I saw won. They are all amazing, hence the nomination in the first place. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if Boyhood or American Sniper won. Why? Boyhood has been talked about by so many and it’s impressive 12 year long process is definitely admirable. It also won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Drama. And American Sniper just seems like, from the sound and looks of it (again, I haven’t seen it) such an Oscar movie. It is America, after all. That being said, there is the whole "fake baby" thing...

While I have enjoyed these movies nominated for Best Picture, and think they definitely deserve the nomination, if not win, I am a little disappointed by the lack of female representation. In all the films, a male is the lead character. In fact, if there wasn't the actual Best Female awards, the entire awards would be uncomfortably and unjustly a sausage fest. Although a female did direct Selma, (you go, Ava DuVernay, you do your thing)!

The Academy can nominate up to 10 films for Best Picture (and they have in the past). this year there were only 8, so female-led films such as Wild, Still Alice, or even Gone Girl could have easily filled those spots. The leads in these films are all nominated for acting awards (Reese Witherspoon, Julianne Moore and Rosamund Pike), so good luck to you, ladies! You all deserve it <3

But this is all neither here nor there ;)

THE ACADEMY AWARDS is on tomorrow, Monday the 23rd and will be aired free-to-air on Chanel 9 at 12:30pm and will be repeated on GEM at 8:30pm.

Stay gold!
Claire x

No comments:

Post a Comment