Monday 27 April 2015

Girls on (and behind) Film | Claire on women of the film industry

Hello, all!

Something exciting happened today, and I have a lot to say.

Rose Byrne is basically one of my favourite women/people in the world, and this morning I found out through DailyLife (my everything) that herself, fellow Australian actress, Gracie Otto, and three other Australian women (Director Shannon Murphy, Producer/Publicist Jessica Carrera and writer/actress Krew Boylan) have founded and started an all-female production company in Sydney called The Dollhouse Collective. Basically, I just about shut down when I read the news, and I have been freaking out about it all day.

The Dollhouse Collective, from their website

For those of you who don’t know, I am a journalism and cinema studies student, and a big feminist. I want to work towards increasing the representation of and celebrating all-women in all aspects of the film industry (Whether it be in journalism/critiquing, acting, directing, producing, working in the film crew, writers, editors etc etc). 

This is because there is a distinct disparity between female representation and that of males, which is for no reason other than the fact that females have been oppressed for far too long. In fact, when Hollywood was created back in the beginning of the film industry, women played an important role in directing, producing and other behind-the-scenes work. In particular,  Mary Pickford was one of the most famous women in the world during the 1920s, as an actress, director and film producer, and co-founded United Artists and The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (aka The academy aka The Oscars). So why did the men take charge and push women out of these roles? The potential was there! (But you know, women weren't “supposed” to work back then and there has been inequality in the work place ever since).

And let me tell you, majority of the students in my cinema studies class are girls, including our tutor, but yet all the readings are written by men, and all the films we are studying are male dominated. Literally, all the films we are watching are sausage fests. There are so many girls out there who love to talk about and read about film, but it’s all from a male’s voice. And I’m tired of it, to be honest.
I adore Reese Witherspoon, and her all-female production company Pacific Standard (Gone Girl, Wild), and I also adore Rose Byrne, so hearing that she and others have created an all-female production company in Australia, a film industry that is often overlooked, (also the country in which I live) obviously makes me freak out. I am so ecstatic about this and joined the mailing list as soon as I could. 

The Dollhouse Collective in the May 2015 issue of Vogue Australia

The Dollhouse Collective’s mission statement reads, “Five filmmakers committed to exploring the creative boundaries of film, TV and theatre. We champion change, we value relationships, we advocate artistic collaborations. We are risk takers, friends and passionate storytellers.” 
The production company, according to DailyLife  and the group’s launch-interview in May’s issue of Vogue Australia (what a perfect way to announce the company, I am in awe/framing the article as we speak/read), is dedicated to producing and supporting film, television and theatre productions that feature strong female roles, as well as encouraging and assisting with each other’s projects. It is literally, as Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls would say, ladies celebrating and helping ladies. And that’s something that we all must do. How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying may boast about the greatness of the “Brotherhood of Man” but watch-out bros, the Sisterhood is here.

Reese Witherspoon and Pacific Standard co-founder, Austrlian, Bruna Papandrea (left) for Vanity Fair, 2014

There has been quite a dialogue about actresses speaking up about the lack of, and wanting strong female lead roles, and the film industry’s treatment of females in the media lately (including Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchette), which is where such production companies like Pacific Standard and The Dollhouse emerge from. However, while there is a lack of “strong” female leading roles for white women, there are even less leading roles and roles in general for ladies (or any gender) of different races and ethnicity, as evident in this years Oscars , which is also something that should be remembered. This is a good step forward, though. And I am so gosh-darn excited.

All in all, I am very passionate about the cause, and I just had to share it with you all. Ladies, y’all are amazing, beautiful and strong as hell, and I love you dearly.

Now to figure out how to get The Dollhouse to hire me after Uni...

Extra Resources:

Ava Duvernay, director of Selma
Why Representation Matters
Gina Rodriguez Golden Globe acceptance Speech
"This award is so much more than myself. It represents a culture that want's to see themselves as heroes."

Women Directors Twitter
#MakeItFair (points out the gender-gap in the film industry)

And there are so much more, but I can't find them at the moment.

Stay amazing!

 Claire. x

No comments:

Post a Comment